Thursday, May 24, 2007

Aang-st

There was an older kid at the playground once who asked my son if he watches Avatar -- my son said "huh?" and I told the older boy that we didn't have cable, which is code for, "I don't let my child watch crap." But then I thought later on, "hey, wait a second, of course I let my child watch crap!" And proceeded to put the first season of Avatar in the ol' Netflix queue. I'm not going to go all out and say that this show is awful, anime-wannabe pap, but it does rip off from Miyazaki a lot, and doesn't even do it right. Where Miyazaki was trying to convey the idea that wild animals are not for the amusement of humans, Aang seems to think that all these exotic animals in the four kingdoms are part of some x-treme sporting ritual. And Aapa, his flying bison? Totally the catbus! But with less legs.

No comments: